Quick and Easy Online Guide on how to play Arkham Horror Card Game
I cover the essential instructions and gameplay to get Arkham Horror Card Game started quickly.
Why use our online guide?
The online guide allows you to navigate straight to the key sections you wish to understand.
I have tried my best to visualise and simplify complex, lengthy concepts to make it easier and faster to understand.
If you like it, please share this page! My goal is to make it easier for tabletop gamers to get their game started!
1 -4 players
90 – 120 mins
Age: 14 +
What is the goal?
- Each player takes the role of an investigator
- Work together to solve mysteries and overcoming challenges
- Each one of you builds a card deck around your investigator’s abilities
- Series of interrelated scenarios create a story uncovering a bigger mystery
- Explore dangerous locations, find clues and progress through the story, and attempt to evade or defeat the Mythos’ treacherous forces
- players progress, gain experience and add powerful new high-level cards
- The danger and challenges also increase as they advance, and they must protect themselves and solve the mystery
Table of Contents
Key Game Concepts
- Cards enter play in Ready position
- When using card abilities, the card becomes exhausted and is turned sideways
- A card that is Exhausted cannot be used until it is Ready again
- Locations represent various places players travel to and look for clues
- Location cards have 2 sides:
- Revealed side shows the clue details
- Location enters play UNREVEALED. When an investigator enters location for 1st time, it is REVEALED
- Number of clues equal to location’s clue value are placed on that location
- a card that has ill effect when drawn by the investigator
- cards are identified by the labels:
- BASIC WEAKNESS
- when drawn, the investigator who drew card must resolve its “Revelation ” ability immediately
- Game is played over a series of rounds. During the round, Investigators go through the following:
- Mythos Phase: encounter the forces of the Mythos
- Investigation Phase: move and explore locations
- Enemy Phase: defend against enemies
- Upkeep Phase: re-group and plan for the next round
During 1st round of the game, skip the Mythos Phase. Once all phases are over, the round is over and the game proceeds to next round
In this phase, players encounter the forces of Mythos.
Skip this phase if it is the 1st round of the game.
Each Investigator takes a separate turn. As a group, they choose who to go first. When an investigator’s turn ends, choose the next investigator and so on.
Each Investigator has 3 actions during the turn. There are various tasks that may be performed and they can be done in any order or as many times they like, as long as there are enough actions.
Draw 1 Card from top of your deck
Take 1 Resource from the token pool.
Investigator resolves action trigger ability on an encounter card at their location or on current act or agenda card
Investigator engages the enemy and places the enemy in their threat area.
Enemies with hunter keyword move once to a connecting location in direction of nearest Investigator.
- Exhausted hunter enemies and hunter enemies at a location with one or more Investigators do not move
- If hunter enemy moves into location with Investigator, it immediately engages that Investigator