How to Play Bananagrams Guide
1 – 8 players
Age: 7 +
Table of Contents
What is the goal?
The objective of Bananagrams is to empty your pile of tiles first by creating words.
To set up Bananagrams, place all 144 tiles facedown in the centre of your playing surface. These form the “Bunch”.
Each player now takes their “Starting Tiles” from the Bunch:
- 2-4 Players: Start with 21 tiles each.
- 5-6 Players: Start with 15 tiles each.
- 7-8 Players” Start with 11 tiles each.
To start, any player calls out “SPLIT!”
All players will then simultaneously turn their tiles face up and race to arrange their tiles in their own intersecting word grid.
- Words in the word grid must be read left to right horizontally, or top to bottom vertically.
- You may rearrange your grid as many times as you like at any time.
Every player, including the one saying “Peel”, then takes another tile from the Bunch.
At any time during the game, you may call out “DUMP!” and put one of your letters back, facedown in the Bunch, however, you must then take three more tiles in exchange.
This has no effect on other players and there’s no limit on how many times you DUMP.
- A misspelled word
- A proper noun
- An abbreviation
- Other unacceptable words
The other players call out “ROTTEN BANANA!” and that player is eliminated from the game. The tiles from that grid are returned to the Bunch facedown and play resumes for the other players until one of them calls out “BANANAS!”
Other Ways of Playing Bananagrams:
Bananagrams is fast and fun but if you want a longer version, play “Best Of” three or five hands in which whoever wins the most games is the Top Banana!
Banana Smoothie (for when you’re in no mood to rush)
- Place all tiles facedown on the playing surface
- Keeping them facedown, divide equally amongst all players
- Play the regular Bananagrams but with no peeling or dumping
- The first player to use all letters and call out “Bananas!” wins. If the game ends in a stalemate or tie, the player with the longest word in their grid wins. However, if you have the same number of letters in your longest words… Play another hand!
Banana Cafe (great for playing while waiting in restaurants)
- Put the Bananagrams game on the table, leaving all tiles in the pouch.
- Every player takes 21 facedown tiles from the pouch.
- Play the regular Bananagrams with dumping but NO peeling.
- The first player to use all their letters and calls out “BANANAS!” wins.
- Place all tiles facedown.
- Take 21 tiles and play as usual.
- Try to beat your best time using all the letters or tyr make as few words as possible.
How do you win?
Win by being the first player to use all their tiles by creating an intersecting word grid.