Quick and Guide on how to play Colt Express
Easy and fast way to learn how to play Colt Express. We cover the essential Colt Express rules and gameplay and get your game started quickly.
2 -6 players
Age: 10 +
What is the goal?
- Colt Express is a 2 – 6 player board game set in the Wild West
- Players are bandits who compete to get the most loot
- While trying to get the most loot, they will need to avoid being hit by too many bullets
Choose character card and place action and bullet cards:
- Each player chooses a character and corresponding character card
- Take 6 bullet cards that match your character’s colour and place next to the character card, in the order of number of bullets
- Shuffle 10 action cards that match your colour place face down to the right of your character card
- Each player takes a $250 purse and places face down on the Character card. Keep the value hidden
Setup the Colt Express train
- n the centre, place train and as many train cars as there are players. Cars can be placed in any order
- Place in each car number and type of Loot tokens indicated on car floor. Purses are randomly picked and placed face down
- Marshal pawn and Strongbox goes inside the Locomotive. Remaining Loot tokens are put back into box
- Randomly draw 4 round cards and shuffle. Randomly select 1 of the 3 train station cards Make face-down deck with the 5 cards , with the train station card at the bottom. Keep remaining round cards in box
- Place 13 neutral bullet cards next to Locomotive
- Take bandit pawns
The Colt Express Bandits
Here are the different characters / bandits each player can choose
There are 5 rounds in a game. Each round has 2 phases:
- Phase 1: Players play Action cards into common deck
- Phase 2: Action cards played during Phase 1 are executed
Start of a Colt Express Round
Beginning of each round, each player shuffles their deck and draw 6 cards for their hand
- 1st player begins the turn and draws top round card and puts it on table
- Round card shows number of turns for the phase and how the turns will play out
Phase 1: Scheming
1st player begins turn, followed by next player in clockwise order.
On your turn:
- play ACTION CARD from your hand face up into common deck or
- take 3 additional cards from your deck to your hand
Scheming phase ends when number of turns shown on Round Card has ended.
Unplayed hands are returned to top of player’s deck.
Phase 2: Stealing
- 1st player takes deck of cards created in Phase 1 and turns deck over without changing order of cards
- Bandits actions are executed one by one starting with top card
- One action is completed, card is returned to player who owned the card
- Player returns card to his personal deck
Actions are compulsory. Each player must perform the actions set out in scheming phase whenever possible.
Ending the Round
- Each player shuffles all his cards (10 action cards and bullet cards he has been hit with)
- Player then places deck next to character card
- Player on 1st player’s left becomes new 1st player and puts remaining round cards in front of him
- New round begins
End of Game
- Game ends after 5 rounds
- Players add up value of their Loot tokens
- Gunslinger prize awarded to player who used most bullets and turns over character card to collect prize (worth $1000). If tied, each tied player gets $1000.
How do you win?
- Richest player wins
- If tied, player with least Bullet cards wins