Quick and Easy to Read Guide on how to play King of Tokyo
What is the goal ?
- A game for 2-6 players
- Players play as monsters, robots, aliens who battle to become King of Tokyo
- Players roll various dice to battle each other in this fun exciting and easy to learn game
- Player choose their monsters and set LIFE POINTS and VICTORY to 10
- Tokyo board is placed in center of table
- Shuffle cards to form deck
- Deal 1st 3 cards face up an place next to board.
- Put black dice at table center. Set green dice aside.
- Form pool of energy cubes
2 to 4 players
- use only Tokyo City
5 to 6 players
- use both Tokyo City and Bay
Step 1 Roll Dice
On the start of your turn:
- Roll the dice up to 3 times. You can stop rolling any time
1st roll of dice:
- Roll 6 black dice and 1 or 2 green dice if you have a Power Card that allows you roll green dice
2nd roll of dice:
- For the dice that give you the results you like, set them aside and roll only the ones you don’t like
3rd roll of dice:
- Re-roll any dice whose results you don’t like or have set aside
Now, resolve the dice.
Step 2 Resolve Dice
- Resolve all dice and in any order
- Symbols shown on your last dice roll represent your turn actions
Gaining Victory Points
- If you roll three-of-a-kind of 1, 2, or 3, gain as many Victory Points as the number
- Each additional die rolled of same face, gives you 1 additional Victory point
- Gain 1 Energy from the pool for each energy icon rolled
- Place them in your reserve and keep them for spending later
- Monsters who are not in same place as you lose 1 Life Point for each smash icon rolled:
- If you are in Tokyo City or Tokyo Bay, all Monsters outside lose health
- If you are outside of Tokyo, all monsters in Tokyo City and Tokyo Bay lose health
- Monsters who lose health and are in Tokyo (Bay or City) can decide to stay or leave
- Each claw result on the dice causes loss of 1 Life Point
- If a player/Monster loses his last Life Point, the player is eliminated
- When outside Tokyo, you gain 1 Life Point for each Heart rolled
- If you are inside, you can’t gain Life Points from dice rolls. You can only gain Life Points from Power Cards.
Life points cannot exceed 10.
Step 3: Enter Tokyo
If no one is in Tokyo, you must enter and place your Monster in Tokyo City.
No monster/player starts in Tokyo and so the first player must Tokyo City during this phase.
5 to 6 players rule
- If Tokyo City is occupied but Tokyo Bay is empty, you must enter Tokyo Bay
- Tokyo Bay and Tokyo City are considered as “in Tokyo” and have the same effects
- Once the game has 4 or fewer players, you must leave Tokyo Bay immediately. If Tokyo City is empty, you move there from Tokyo Bay
Effects of being in Tokyo
- You gain 1 Victory Point when entering Tokyo
- You gain 2 Victory Points when you start your turn in Tokyo
- You cannot gain Life Points from rolling the heart icon on your dice roll
- You can still use Power cards to gain Life Points
- When smashing, all Monsters outside of Tokyo lose life points when you roll the smash icon
- The Monsters outside of Tokyo cause all Monsters in Tokyo to lose life points when they roll the claw icon
Step 4: Buy Power Cards
- You may buy 1 or more of the 3 face-up cards with your Energy Cubes
- The card indicates the cost of Energy
- Replace bought cards immediately from top of the deck
- New cards are immediately available for purchase
- Spend 2 energy cubes to discard and change all 3 face up cards
There are 2 types of Power Cards:
- Keep: keep cards face up in front of you until end of game
- Discard: Resolve cards immediately and discard