How to Play Chutes and Ladders
Fast to learn easy to read how to play Chutes and Ladders rules.
Suitable for 2 – 6 players | 30 – 30 mins duration | Recommended age 3+ | Game complexity: EASY
Genre: Animals,Children Games,Dice,Movies/TV/Radio Theme Solo game mode: No Co-op: No
Online Version: No
Click here for the official rulebook
What is the goal? #
The goal is to get from square one to square 100 first.
Game setup #
- Notice that the gameboard has numbered squares.
- In the lower left corner is square 1.
- In the game, you move from square 10 to square 20, then to square 20, then back to square 10 to square 30, etc., until you reach square 100.
- Each player selects a piece.
- Let\’s spin the spinner to see who starts. Whoever spins the highest number plays first. Players follow from left to right.
- All players start their playing pieces just off the playing board next to square number 1 and move one square for each number spun on the spinner. For example, if the spinner points to five, move your playing piece five squares. Each player has one turn at a time.
- LaddersFor example, if your playing piece stops on square 9 at the BOTTOM of a ladder, you must move UP to picture square 31 at the top of the ladder. On your next turn, you go towards square number 40. LADDERS LEAD UP ONLY
When your playing piece lands on a picture square at the TOP of a CHUTE, such as square 49, you must move DOWN to picture square11 at the bottom of that CHUTE. On your next turn move along towards square number 20. CHUTES LEAD DOWN ONLY.Note that all ladders and chutes begin and end in “picture” squares that are related to each other.
- The squares without pictures, but through which parts of the Chutes and Ladders pass, are counted as regular squares.
- Two or more players may stop on any square at the same time if their moves happen to land them in that position.
How do you win? #
- Square 100 must be reached by an exact spin of the spinner, or by the LADDER from picture square number 80.
- The first player to reach the Blue Ribbon Corner, number 100, WINS THE GAME!