How to Play Jumanji Rules Guide
Fast to learn easy to read how to play Jumanji board game rules.
Players: 2 to 4 | Game duration from: 45 mins | Game Complexity:
What is the goal?
Be first to reach the gameboard center and call out JUMANJI!
- Shuffle danger cards and place facedown on the DRAW area.
- Each player places a pawn on its matching color START space.
- Place the rhino figure on its home base as shown below
- Each player chooses one Rescue die.
- Select a player to go first.
- Timer and number die always go to the player whose turn it is.
- The game continues clockwise.
On a player’s turn
- Roll number die
- Move pawn the number of die spaces along the color path to the gameboard center
- Follow space directions
- Turn is over, pass the timer and number die to your left.
There are four types of spaces. When your pawn ends its turn on one of these spaces, do the following.
Jungle dangers await. Other players must roll the hourglass or the symbol that matches the danger card in order to rescue you.
Draw a danger card and turn it faceup under the decoder to reveal the secret symbol and number.
The Secret Symbols
- You will be shown one of the following symbols: rope, saber, die, axe, racquet, open door, or raft. These symbols appear on the Rescue dice.
- To be saved, your fellow players must use their Rescue dice to quickly roll the symbol that matches your card.
- You say, “Ready! Set! Go!” as you turn over the timer. Players must roll either the matching symbol or the hourglass before time runs out. You do not roll.
- Note: The hourglass is Wild – it matches any card symbol! Wild – it matches any card symbol!
If one or more players fail to roll either the matching symbol or the hourglass, move your pawn backwards the number of spaces shown on the card.
All other players stay put! Place the card faceup on the first Doomsday Grid space on the gameboard. Your turn ends.
When Rolling Against Time
- Rescue dice are rolled at the same time.
- Players roll continuously until the following appears:
- a matching symbol or
- the hourglass
- They only have 8 seconds! The timekeeper will announce the end of time.
If ALL players roll the same symbol or the hourglass – you are safe.
- Your pawn stays on its space.
- The pawns of all players move ahead of the number on the card.
- Space directions do not apply.
- Discard the card.
- End of your turn.
In case one or more players fail to roll the hourglass or matching symbol, you must move your pawn backwards the number of spaces shown.
All other players stay put! Place the card faceup on the first Doomsday Grid space on the gameboard. Your turn is over.
- Danger cards placed on the grid represent dangers overtaking the town.
- Danger cards are added to the grid as the game progresses.
- All players lose if the grid fills up before a player reaches the gameboard center and the game must be restarted and played again
- Cards are placed in the direction of the arrows
Wait for 5 or 8 spaces
- You are sucked into the jungle
- Move back space by space until a player stops you by rolling 5 or 8
- Player to your left rolls number die once
- If 5 or 8 rolled, both you and roller stay put. Your turn ends
- If 5 or 8 is not rolled, you move your pawn back one space. Do not follow the space directions. Player to the roller\’s left now rolls the number die once and so on. Move back one space if each roll is unsuccessful.
- May take several rolls for other players to stop you from moving backwards
- If you move back to START space, you turn is over and start next turn on START space.
- All players (including you) are trapped in the jungle
- Everyone must roll to rescue each other and the turn does not end until one is successful
- Draw danger card and slide it under the decoder
- Read aloud the message and reveal secret symbol and number
- Turn over the timer
- All players (including you) roll rescue dice at the same time
Rolling Against Time
Rescue dice are rolled together by all players. Roll until the hourglass or symbol is rolled. Timekeeper announces when time is up.
All players are safe if they roll either the matching symbol or the hourglass. Players move their pawns to the number shown on their cards. They do not follow space directions. Discard the card. Your turn is over.
When one or more players fail to roll either the matching symbol or the hourglass, place the card on the next empty Doomsday Grid space. Players stay put while you draw another card. The players repeat these steps until ALL of them roll the matching card symbol or the hourglass. You may have to draw several cards before you\’re safe. After that, your turn is over.
If you wish, you can place the rhino figure directly ahead of any pawn ( except on the gameboard center), to block that player from moving.
Unless another player lands on a Rhino space and moves it, or the blocked player rolls an even number on his or her turn, the blocked player remains on that space.
If the rhino blocks your pawn,
- roll the number die once on your regular turn
- Roll an even number, place the rhino back on its home base and move forward as indicated. When you land, follow the space directions
- Roll an odd number, you remain blocked by the rhino. follow the directions for the space you\’re on.
- Players can\’t occupy the same space. Move to the next open space if you land on an occupied space
- Always move your full count except when being blocked by the Rhino or not reaching the gameboard center by exact count (see how do you win)
- If you can\’t move on your turn, follow the directions for the space you are on.
How do you win?
You must reach the gameboard center by exact count and then call out JUMANJI to win.
2 ways to reach the gameboard center:
- On your turn, by exact die count after rolling the number die.
- On a fellow player’s turn, by exact number count after moving ahead on a danger card.
Important things to note:
Move your pawn as shown if the number on the die or card is less than the number of spaces you need to reach the center.
Keep your pawn where it is if the die or card number is more than the space you need to reach the center. Follow the directions for the space you\’re on if it\’s your turn.
More than one player can reach the gameboard center on the same turn, but the winner is the first to shout JUMANJI! If the Doomsday Grid fills up before a player reaches the gameboard center, all players lose! You must play the game again until someone wins!
Add 1-6 danger cards to the Doomsday Grid before you start. Can you beat the odds?
2 Player Game Rule
The hourglass is no longer Wild on the Rescue dice.