How to Play Phase 10 Rules Guide
2 -6 players
Age: 8 +
What is the goal?
Players compete to complete “phases” within the game. Be the first player to finish all 10 phases and you win.
- Randomly assign a player to be the dealer
- The dealer will:
- Shuffle the deck of cards
- Deal 10 cards, face-down, one at a time to each player
- Players will keep their cards hidden in their hand
- The remaining deck of cards will be the draw pile
- Turn over the top card of the draw pile and place next to it. This is the 1st card of the discard pile.
- Player on the left of the dealer begins the hand
- Phase 10 is played over several hands.
- There are 10 Phases (card combinations) which players try to complete.
- In each hand, players take turns to:
- pick a card from the Draw Pile or Discard Pile.
- collect the necessary cards each turn to complete their Phase
- discard leftover cards or HITTING on completed phases
- A hand ends when one has completed their phase and discarded all their leftover cards.
- Players score the hand.
- A new hand begins with players taking turn clockwise to be the dealer.
- Players who have completed their phases move on to the next phase.
- The game ends when a player has completed their 10th phase.
How do you score a hand?
- Winner of the hand scores zero
- Remaining players score points against them for cards remaining in their hand as follow:
- 5 points for each 1-9 numbered card
- 10 points for each 10-12 numbered card
- 15 points for each “Skip” card
- 25 points for each “Wild” card
What is a Phase in Phase 10?
It is a combination of cards made of sets, runs, cards of one colour or a combination of sets and runs.
What is a Set?
A set comprises two or more cards with the same number.
What are Runs?
A run comprises four or more cards numbered in order.
What are the phases in Phase 10?
As mentioned, players will compete to complete 10 phases (combinations). Here are the 10 phases:
How do you complete a Phase?
- When a Phase is completed during your turn, lay it down face-up
- You may lay down more than the minimum required cards of a Phase, but only if the additional cards can be added to the existing Phase
- Only 1 Phase can be completed per hand
- Phases must be completed in order from 1 to 10
Phase 10 Rules – Wild Cards
To complete a phase, a Wild card can represent any number card or any colour. Multiple Wild cards may be used as long as there is 1 natural card. Once played in a Phase, it cannot be replaced and used elsewhere. If the dealer starts the discard pile with a Wild card, the first player may pick it up.
Phase 10 Rules – Skip Cards
Skip Cards cause your opponents to lose a turn. Use it by discarding the card on your turn and choosing the player you wish to lose a turn.
- When drawing a Skip card, a player may discard immediately or save it for a later turn.
- You are not allowed to pick a Skip Card from the discard pile
- Only one Skip card can be used on each player per “round” (once round the table)
- If discard pile starts with a Skip card, the 1st player’s turn is skipped
How do you win?
- 1st player to complete the 10th phase at the end of a hand is the winner
- If 2 or more players complete the 10th phase, the player with the fewest points is the winner
- If tied, tied players play a hand to complete Phase number 10.