How to Play Scattergories Rules Guide
Fast to learn easy to read how to play Scattergories rules. Find out about Scattergories.
Assemble answer pad for all 6 folders. Insert 3 cards per folder. Each card will have Lists #1 to #12.
Step by Step How to Play Scattergories Guide
In Scattergories, players fill out a category list ‘with answers that begin with the same letter.’ If no other player matches your answers, you score points.
Total Time: 30 minutes
Set timer and roll letter die
Set timer for 3 mins . A player rolls the letter die on the die-rolling board and calls out the rolled letter. The rolled letter is the key letter that will be used in this round of play.
Start timer and fill answers that fit the category
All players fill in the first column of their answer sheets before the timer is up. Answers must fit the category and start with the key letter rolled. Any number of words in the answer is allowed as long as the first word starts with the correct letter.
The category is “Vegetable” with a letter of “C”. Words such as:
are acceptable, but “Broccoli” is not (wrong initial letter), nor is “Citrus” (wrong category).
Scoring in Scattegories
Read answers aloud for category 1 and circle acceptable answers where no player has given. Do this for the next category till you complete all 12 categories.
You score one point for each circled an answer.
You cannot have more than one answer on a line for each number.
Challenging the answer
When reading answers, other players may challeng. When challenged, all players (including challenged player) vote on whether the answer is acceptable.
Majority rules. In the case of a tie, the challenged player’s vote does not count.
Start new round
Set the timer again, roll a new letter and play using the same category list as previous round. Fill in the next column with your new answers. NOTE: If the same letter is rolled twice in a game, reroll the die for a different letter.
At the end of 3 rounds, all players total their scores. Highest score is the winner. In a tie, tied players play one more round with a new letter. The player who has the highest score in that round is the winner.
Rules about acceptable answers
• The first word of your answer starts with the key letter.
• The articles “A”, “An”, and “The” cannot be used for their key letters. Examples: “S” is the key letter for the Movie Title, The Shining. “T” is the key letter for the Book, A Tale Of Two Cities.
• The exact same answer CANNOT be used twice in one round.
• When answering with a proper name, the first or last name may be used as long as the key letter is the first letter of your answer. For example, if the key letter is “P” and the category is Celebrity, your answer could be Paul Newman or Presley, Elvis.
• You can use creative answers but if one player challenges the answer, the group must vote on its acceptability.
Scattergories Rules FAQs
What is the object of the game Scattergories?
In each 3 minute round, players fill out a category list ‘with answers that begin with the same letter.’ If no other player matches your answers, you score points. After 3 rounds, player with highest score wins.
Can you repeat the same word in Scattergories?
You cannot have the same answer twice in a round.