2 – 5 players
Age: 14 +
What is the goal?
- Players are merchants, who on each turn, attempt to bring their goods to the market for trading
- They take turns to be the sheriff who inspects the merchant’s bags
- Players who are merchants must persuade the sheriff to let their goods through
- Players gain wealth by getting their goods into the market
- Player with most wealth wins
Table of Contents
Each player takes a Merchant bag and stand of matching colour. One player is chosen to be banker and distributes 50 gold to each player (including him or herself).
In the Basic Game setup,
- remove Royal Goods cards (12 cards and return to box)
- shuffle remaining cards and deal 6 to each player
- leftover cards are placed in draw pile
Create 2 discard piles by drawing 5 cards from draw pile to form 1st discard pile and drawing 5 cards again to form 2nd discard pile.
Finally, randomly select a player as the sheriff
- Game is played over a series of rounds. Each round has 5 phases:
Phase 1: Market
The player who is sheriff does not take part in this phase.
Starting from the player on the left of the sheriff, in a clockwise manner, each player takes a turn to:
- Put up to 5 cards from their hand face down
- Draw cards one at a time from either discard pile or the draw pile or both
- Any player can view the cards in the discard piles at any time
- A player must draw from the discard pile first, before drawing from the draw pile
- Each time a player draws from the discard pile, they must allow other players (including SHERIFF!) to view it
- Draw till they have 6 cards on hand
- Once the player has 6 cards, the cards faced down (in step 1) are placed face up (in any order) on either discard pile (choose one)
If discard pile is empty, it remains empty until a player discards cards into it.
How do you win?
At the end of the last round (every player has been sheriff twice or 3 times for 3 player game),
- Discard all cards on hand (these cards have no points)
- Reveal Contraband cards and count total score. Total score equals:
- value of all goods on Merchant Stand (legal and contraband)
- gold coins
- bonuses for being ‘king’ or ‘queen’ for a type of good
- Player with most points wins
What are the Optional Rules for Sheriff of Nottingham?
Royal Goods Cards
Add these cards when you have gotten used to the game.
4+ marked cards are only used for 4 or more players and are removed from 3 player games.
Rules for Royal Goods Cards:
- treated like contraband
- when inspected, they are confiscated and one pays the fine listed on the card
- if they make it through to the market, they are placed face down on the Merchant Stand
- at the end of the game, added to the legal goods and are worth the amount listed on the card